The Texas Historical Commission has recognized the historical significance of Aledo United Methodist Church as a part of local Texas history by awarding it an official Texas Historical Marker.
A dedication ceremony to commemorate the event is 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 3, on the church grounds at the intersection of Oak and Pecan streets in downtown Aledo. The Parker County Historical Commission welcomes the public to share in and witness this historical event.
Aledo United Methodist Church has had a vital and significant role in Parker County since its establishment in 1878 in a one-room wooden building known as Alma Hall in the Alma community.
Ten years later the faithful Wesleyan followers, by then known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Aledo, would move the structure 2-1/2 miles to land purchased by church trustees near the Texas & Pacific Railway line in the newly named settlement of Aledo.
From its distinction of being the first congregation in Aledo to own a church building, Aledo United Methodist Church continues to offer a tradition of care, fellowship, support and outreach.