Weatherford Democrat

Archive

marker cutout IMG_2266.jpg

PORTRAIT PAINTER DOUGLAS CHANDOR BEGAN DESIGNS FOR HIS HOME AND GARDEN IN 1934. ORIGINALLY CALLED WHITE SHADOWS, THE GARDEN WAS RENAMED CHANDOR GARDENS BY HIS WIFE, INA, AFTER HER HUSBAND'S DEATH IN 1953. CARVED FROM A CALICHE HILLSIDE THAT HAD BEEN HIS IN-LAWS' COW PASTURE, IT CONSISTS OF SEVEN INTERLOCKING GARDENS WITH ORIENTAL AND ENGLISH FEATURES. MOST GARDENS INCLUDE A FOUNTAIN OR POND, AND SPACE FOR FLORA, STATUARY OR OTHER OBJECTS. THE GARDEN OPENED TO THE PUBLIC AND BEGAN ATTRACTING REGIONAL ATTENTION BY 1938 FROM NEWSPAPER FEATURES. CHANDOR'S WISH WAS THAT HIS GARDEN WOULD BE AN INCENTIVE FOR TEXAS MEN TO TAKE UP GARDENING. THE GARDEN REFLECTS CHANDOR'S ABILITY TO TRANSFORM THOUGHT AND LANDSCAPE INTO A PLACE OF BEAUTY. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2011

Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue