Canned good collection
• Daisy Scout Troop 4822 will be collecting donations of canned goods, boxed foods and anything non perishable to donate to local food pantries.
• Drop off location: The Weatherford Democrat, 512 Palo Pinto St., Weatherford, TX 76086
• Make donations by 5 p.m. Dec. 15.
Parker County Retired Teachers
• Parker County Retired Teachers will meet at 11:30 a.m. for lunch followed by a noon business meeting and program.
• The meeting will take place at Central Christian Church’s Cuppett Hall, 1602 S. Main St., in Weatherford.
• Program will be presented by the Klassy Kloggers, a local dance group, who will be clogging to the music of the Christmas season.
• For lunch members will treat each other to their favorite Christmas dishes. There is no cost for lunch this month.
• Call 817-594-5748 to get more information.
WC free concert
• The Choral Department of Weatherford College will present its annual fall concert, “One World, Many Voices – A Call for Peace, Providence and Praise,” on Tuesday, Dec. 3.
• The choir will sing Mozart, gospel and everything in between, said Rob Laney, music instructor and choral director.
• The community is invited to attend. Doors open at 7 p.m. in the Alkek Fine Arts Center on the College’s Weatherford campus. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
• For more information, contact Laney at 817-598-6237.
Give the Dog a Bone
• South Bowie Day Care & Pre-School is hosting a “Give the Dog a Bone” for its second annual giving to Parker Paws.
• Donations are being accepted from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3-10 and until 10 a.m. on Dec. 11 at the school located at 1718 S. Bowie Drive in Weatherford.
• Make checks payable to Parker Paws.
• For more information call 817-596-0655.
• The Texas State Department of Health Services will conduct an immunization clinic Thursday, Dec. 5, 9 a.m.-noon, at the Weatherford Community Center, 701 Narrow St., in Weatherford.
• Vaccinations are provided for children who are uninsured, under-insured or have Medicaid.
• Adult vaccines are provided to uninsured only.
• The fee is $10 per child or $20 per family and $20 per adult. No one is denied service for inability to pay.
• For more information about immunizations, call (940) 325-7844.
The Parker County Republican Party
• The Parker County Republican Party is having a Christmas reception on Thursday from. 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Downtown Cafe on the square in Weatherford.
• All are invited and no reservations are necessary.
• Thank you to our sponsors Congresswoman Kay Granger, State Rep. Phil King, Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler, Parker County Judge Mark Riley and County Court-at-Law Judge Jerry Buckner. Hope to see you there!
Toys For Tots
• Green Apple Therapy is hosting a Toys For Tots drop off event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 250 Santa Fe Drive.
• In honor of Pearl Harbor Day, the VFW Post 4746 will be conducting a blood drive in partnership with Carter Blood Care.
• Drive will go from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the post, located at 224 Zion Hill Rd.
• Contact Carla, 817-412-9568, for more info.
Christmas on the Square
• Featuring an appearance by Santa, local shopping opportunities, hot chocolate and festive foods, live entertainment on the main stage and a classic car show.
• Goes from noon to 5 p.m. Christmas parade begins at 10 a.m.
• Lakeshore Baptist Church invites the public to hear the Joyful Singers perform “Go, Tell It!”
• The performance will start at 6:30 p.m.
• The church is located at 200 S. Lakeshore Drive in Hudson Oaks.
Parker County Active Democrats
• The Parker County Active Democrats will have their Christmas party on Monday, Dec. 9, 6-8 p.m., at the Twentieth Century Club, 321 S. Main St., in Weatherford.
• We’re having an old-fashioned potluck supper with everyone bringing his/her favorite dish. Then we’ll gather all the unwrapped toys brought by attendees to be donated to a worthy group decided on at the supper.
• Everyone is welcome. For more info, call W. D. Kimzey at 817-598-0118.
NSBC Evergreen Club
• Monthly meeting of the Evergreen Club at North Side Baptist Church’s fellowship hall at 10:30 a.m.
• Guests will be “Music and Carols.”
• Music with Lance and Rebecca Gibson.
• Installation of officers will be conducted by Shirley Riebe.
• A potluck luncheon will follow.
• Call 817-599-9969 for more information.
How to grow your own Parker County peaches
• Come learn all about what it takes to grow your own Parker County peaches at an informative program to be presented Tuesday, Dec. 10.
• This program will at the Parker County Agricultural Services Center meeting room, 604 N. Main St., in Weatherford starting at 6:30 p.m., according to Jon Green, County Extension Agent-Ag.
• Cost for the program is $10 per person (cash or check only) and is payable at the door.
• Guest speaker Bob Whitney will discuss site preparation, recommended varieties, planting and training young trees, fertility and water requirements, tree pruning, controlling insects and disease, thinning the crop and harvesting, as well as answering audience questions.
• For those attending with a pesticide applicator’s license, 1 CEU will be offered toward their re-certification.
• For for more information call (817) 598-6168.
East Parker County Chamber Monthly Luncheon
• The next East Parker County Chamber Monthly Luncheon is 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at New River Fellowship, 3253 East I-20, in Hudson Oaks.
• You are invited to the East Parker County Chamber monthly luncheon, featuring New River Associate Pastor Lynn Bullock reading The Christmas Story and Pastor Michael John Clement singing Christmas carols.
• It is sure to put you in the Christmas spirit.
• Register online at www.eastparkerchamber.com or call 817-441-7844.
Business Before Breakfast
• First National Bank, 220 Palo Pinto St., in Weatherford will host the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce’s “Business Before Breakfast” meeting 7:30-9 a.m.
• Attendees will enjoy a holiday breakfast by Whistle Hill Restaurant while looking at the beautiful snow village display. KYQX radio station will broadcast live from the lobby.
• All attendees are encouraged to bring a canned food item for the local holiday food drive also hosted by First National Bank. Door prizes are encouraged to highlight your business.
• Call the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce for further information at 817-596-3801.
Parker County Women’s and Newcomer’s Club
• Parker County Women’s and Newcomer’s Club will meet at 10 a.m. at the Alkek Fine Arts Building at Weatherford College, 225 College Park Drive.
• The cost of $10 includes lunch. The program is gift wrapping from the Container Store.
• Please call (817)594-0125 by Dec. 9 to make reservations. Visit us at pcwnc.org.
Breakfast with Santa
• CASA–Hope for Children’s Annual Breakfast with Santa is Saturday, Dec. 14, at Central Christian Church, 1602 S. Main St., in Weatherford. • There will be two separate serving times, one from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and the second 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
• The event consists of a picture with Santa to take home, goodie bags, crafts, face painting, story time, hay rides and, of course, a great breakfast.
• Green Apple Therapy is the main sponsor this year Local High School Art students will help again with face painting and CASA board members, volunteers, friends and community leaders will be cooking, serving, decorating and even cleaning up. Tickets will be distributed to CASA children, Freedom House, Center of Hope and others.
• Community families are encouraged to purchase tickets and take part in this fun event while supporting CASA. The cost is $5 per child and parents are free.
• Tickets are available at either the CASA office at 701 Palo Pinto St., Suite 701-F, or Green Apple Therapy at 250 Santa Fe Drive, Ste. 101, both in Weatherford. You can call CASA at 817-599-6224 or visit www.casaofparkercounty.com.
Candlelight Tour of Homes
• The Candlelight Tour of Homes is 1-7 p.m.
Tickets are available after Thanksgiving at the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce or the Doss Heritage and Cultural Center. Ticket prices are $12 for adults and $6 for children 12 and under.
• Go to www.parkercountyheritagesociety.com for more information, or contact the chamber office at 817-596-3801.
2nd Annual Santafest
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Belk, 205 Adams Drive, Weatherford.
• Youth models, McGruff the Crime Dog, Mr. and Mrs. Clause and Rudolph, as well as several vendors will be present for those attending.
• A photographer will be on hand to take pictures with Santa.
• Contact Belk at (817) 594-2295 to find out more.
Parker County Texas Democratic Women
• The Parker County Texas Democratic Women will have their Christmas party and silent auction on Dec. 19 starting at noon.
• We’re all bringing salads to share while doing silent bidding on items displayed.
• Everyone is welcome, and if you wish to participate in the auction by bringing item(s), please do so.
• The location of the party is the home of Gloria Young, 694 Boling Ranch Road, in Azle.
• If you plan to attend, please let Gloria know by e-mailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classical Christmas Concert
• First Baptist Church of Dennis is presenting a “Classical Christmas Concert” at 7 p.m. featuring world class classical guitarist Rodrigo Rodriguez.
• The concert is free and the public is invited.
• The church is located at 7600 FM Road 1189, just south of The Reserve at Sugar Tree.
• For more information call 817-613-9295 or go to www.fbcdennis.org.
Weatherford Food Hub
• Weatherford Food Hub for December is 10 a.m. to noon (or until we sell out) at the Weatherford Public Library, 1014 Charles St.
• The sale is open to all community members.
• Each $5 bag (cash only) contains 15 plus pieces of fresh fruit and vegetables.
• The mission of this sale is to make fresh produce affordable and accessible to all.
• The Food Hub is sponsored by Rotary Club of Weatherford.
Freedom House Needs bilingual English/Spanish Translators
• Must be able to commit two to four hours at least one weekday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
• Individuals must be at least 18 and complete a satisfactory criminal history check.
• Applicants must be willing to volunteer as a neutral party to assist client advocate with the flow of information to their Spanish-speaking clients. Volunteer interpreters should be willing to work with client advocates to gain some knowledge of what the advocate means, without embellishing or omitting important details.
• If interested, request a Volunteer Application Packet by calling 817-596-7543 or e-mailing email@example.com.
Flag fund donations, veterans needed
• Since 1999, more than 100,000 flags have been placed on veterans’ graves in Parker County on Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veteran’s Day.
• Anyone desiring a flag to be placed on a grave or flags for a cemetery may contact the American Legion Post 163 at 817-594-4101 after 5 p.m. or the flag chairman at 817-599-0952.
• To donate to the flag fund, send tax deductible donations to American Legion Post 163 Flag Fund (be sure to earmark check for the fund), 703 Eureka St., Weatherford, TX 76086.