Weatherford Democrat

June 9, 2013

Ask a master gardener

Weatherford Democrat

Here are this week’s gardening questions and answers, provided by Parker County Master Gardeners. To submit a question, send it to For more information about Parker County Master Gardeners, or to become a member, call 817-598-6096 or visit

I have beetles eating my rose blooms.  What are they, and what can I do about them?

The Kern’s Flower Scarab Beetle is attracted by nectar and pollen. It has appeared in abundance lately on roses, daylilies and other fragrant blossoms. The least harmful control is to remove them by hand. This is time consuming, but using an insecticide while the blooms are open may do more harm than good. The beetles will die, but so will beneficial insects such as bees and butterflies. The safest and most effective time to introduce control measures is in July and August when the beetle is in its larval form, commonly known as the white grub worm. We will discuss the choices of insecticide later in the summer when it is time to treat.


The rubber plant that belonged to my mother is looking pretty sad.  How can I revive it? 

The rubber tree is a tropical plant that can grow up to 10 feet tall. It requires a great deal of indirect sunlight. Never put it near a window that receives full sun, because that can burn the leaves. Keeping the large leaves clean using plain warm water will allow them to absorb more light. Water it regularly, but allow the soil to dry out a bit between watering times. Do not fertilize it until it has adjusted to its new location; then apply monthly fertilizer in the spring and summer. Use a liquid fertilizer and dilute it to half strength.


What can I do to get rid of nut grass?

Nut grass is a member of the sedge family, and is known as nutsedge. It is invasive, growing from multiple root nodules deep in the ground. Pulling the grass up by the roots will only cause the nodules left in the ground to multiply. In order to completely eradicate you must use a product called Image, which is specifically designed for nutsedge. This product requires two applications, so follow all label recommendations carefully.


Firewise Seminar

At 7:00 pm on June 27, Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Service of Parker County, in cooperation with the Parker County Master Gardeners, will provide a 90 minute seminar to address the threat of wildfires and how damage can be mitigated using Firewise Landscaping methods. To register for this class, contact the Parker County Extension Office at 817-598-6168.