— AUSTIN – State Rep. Phil King, R-Weatherford, has announced a scholarship opportunity for eligible high school graduates from public, private, or home school within Parker and Wise counties.
The 2013-14 Texas Armed Services Scholarship has been created to assist promising students throughout the state who are committed to education and service. It encourages young leaders to participate in the Texas Guard, Army National Guard or Air National Guard, or to become commissioned officers in the United States armed services.
The scholarship will provide recipients with up to $10,000 per academic year for up to four years (out of the five years allowed for graduation) toward undergraduate education at any Texas university with an active ROTC program.
To be eligible, a student must meet two of following four academic criteria:
• Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program.
• A GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Ranked in the top third of the graduating class.
• SAT score of 1590 or ACT score of 23.
To receive the scholarship, a student must:
• Be appointed by a state representative or state senator or by the governor or lieutenant governor.
• Enroll in an eligible Texas institution and an eligible ROTC program.
• Commit in writing to: Remain in ROTC for four years; graduate within five years; enter Guard service or accept a commission with the armed services within six months of graduation from college; and meet program physical fitness requirements.
“The opportunity to serve your state and your country in this capacity is truly a privilege and an honor,” said King. “I would encourage any student eligible for this scholarship to apply and take full advantage of the opportunities made available for those who serve.”
If you are a resident of Parker or Wise counties and are interested in this scholarship, send a cover letter, resumé and any letters of recommendation in a packet via mail or email to Ashley Westenhover to be received no later than July 10, 2013. Email a PDF attachment to email@example.com.
The mailing address is State Rep. Phil King, c/o: Ashley Westenhover, TASSP, Room CAP 1N.7, Capitol, P.O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768.