Follow these hints as you begin your walking program:
• Set aside a certain time during the week for your exercise.
• Avoid exercising after eating.
• Wear shoes that provide a good support.
• Dress more lightly than usual for the weather because exercising will raise your body temperature. You might want to dress in layers that can be removed when you warm up.
• During hot weather, walk in the evening and early morning to avoid the heat and use sunscreen to protect your skin.
• Walk with someone to make the walking more pleasurable.
Here are some steps for walking correctly:
• Move at a steady, comfortable pace. Check your pulse to see if you are hitting your target heart rate.
• Hold your head high and keep your back straight. Move your feet in a straight line while moving your arms in rhythm to your steps.
• Land on your heel. Roll forward and push off from the balls of your fee.
• Take easy, comfortable strides.
• Breathe deeply, breathing through your mouth.
Participate in the Walk Across Texas Challenge. Walk Across Texas – Parker County will begin April 6 and run through May 25. You can do it as a group or individually. Visit walkacrosstexas.tamu.edu. Let’s see how many miles we can walk in Parker County.