Texans can help prevent fires by doing the following:
• Avoid burning trash.
• Do not use fireworks.
• Never toss a cigarette out of a car or put out cigarettes on the ground.
• Be careful when pulling off a road or driving into a field.
• Keep a fire extinguisher handy when working outdoors with hot equipment.
If advised to evacuate, do so immediately. If a fire approaches, take the following actions:
• Know all evacuation routes leading out of your neighborhood.
• Shut off gas at the meter and turn off propane tanks.
• Wet down the roof and shrubs within 15 feet of your residence.
• Close doors, windows and vents to prevent drafts.
Source: Texas Forest Service