Weatherford Democrat

December 6, 2012

Millsap home destroyed in fire

Christin Coyne
CNHI

MILLSAP — The home of three Millsap residents was destroyed by fire early Monday but not before the one occupant at the time woke up and managed to get out without incident, fire officials report.

Millsap VFD, along with volunteers from Greenwood, Cool-Garner and Brock-Dennis, responded to the fire in the 400 block of Pine Street around 12:30 a.m. Monday, Millsap Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Edwards said.

The fire had already gone through the roof and was visible to neighbors, including the Millsap fire chief, when the department was notified, Edwards said.

The one occupant at the time was already out of the brick, single-story home and the roof was well-involved when firefighters arrived.

“The whole thing is still kind of open at this point,” Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said about the cause. However, he said he suspects the fire may have started as a result of an electrical issue.

There were signs of electrical stress in the ceiling that overhangs the back porch, and he was unable to find anything else out of the ordinary, according to Scott. “There were no signs of malicious intent or anything.”  

Homeowner Ryan Irwin reported he was asleep and woke up because he was hot, Scott said. “When he went to turn on the fan, he noticed water coming through the ceiling.”

Although the fire was pretty much contained to the attic, the collapse of the roof during the fire made the house a total loss, officials said. However, the man was able to move his car away from the home in time.

Both of the man’s roommates were reported to be out of town at the time - one was starting a new job and was staying in Dallas, while the other was moving out, Scott said.