Weatherford Democrat

December 13, 2012

2 Aledo-area residents lose home


Weatherford Democrat

— By CHRISTIN COYNE

ccoyne@weatherforddemocrat.com

ALEDO - Two residents were displaced in a residential fire Wednesday morning that the fire marshal believes started as a result of poor electrical work.

The modest single-story brick home located in the 9000 block of Bankhead Highway between Willow Park and Aledo was destroyed despite the efforts of firefighters from Aledo, Willow Park, Hudson Oaks, Silver Creek and Weatherford.

Heavy fire and smoke was coming out of the roof when firefighters arrived, Aledo Fire Chief Morris Leondar said.

Using water drafted from a nearby pond, firefighters made an interior attack on the fire but were eventually forced to pull out of the house, according to Leondar.

Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said the fire appeared to originate in the ceiling above the kitchen area before falling into the kitchen.

The homeowner reported hearing popping noises in the wall prior to the fire, according to Scott.

They found many signs of electrical stress and evidence of uncertified electrical work in the house, including connections taped together and not placed in proper junction boxes, Scott said.

Two days prior to the fire, there was an issue with a transformer near the house and it had been replaced, according to Scott.

The building was separated into two living units and no one was occupying the west end of the residence, according to Scott.

Scott said the responding fire departments had good response times to the incident, with Willow Park and Aledo arriving at nearly the same time.

The Red Cross was on hand to assist the two residents and, along with Parker County CERT, provided water and drinks to firefighters.

“I’m glad no one got hurt but I’m sorry it had to happen, especially this time of year,” Leondar said.