Anyone who believes con artists and potential thieves are working an area should call 911 and request an officer.
In the meantime:
• Don’t use a contractor you are not familiar with, referred to you by someone you know and trust or who can’t provide local references you can easily check.
• Don’t pay in cash and don’t pay the full amount before work begins or is completed.
• Get a signed contract detailing the work – materials and labor – that will be performed.
• Be very cautious about who you let into your home or business.
• If you did not seek out the contractor but was approached instead, be suspicious.
• Do not agree to any deals such as those described above and call law enforcement if someone threatens you or refuses to leave your property when requested.