“We had quite a bit of mutual aid assistance,” Watson said, adding that the travel distance for a water supply created another difficulty.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally in a second-floor room.
“Basically he was using certain chemicals in his home for cleaning, and he lit a cigarette and set them off,” Watson said. “It was completely accidental ... Basically what it came it came down to was he had some volatile chemicals open in an enclosed area and he was smoking in that area.”
The man did not immediately leave the building and attempted to extinguish the fire.
“He had originally tried to remain upstairs where the fire started trying to put it out,” Watson said. “He used two fire extinguishers and was unsuccessful. By that time the conditions had worsened to the point where he couldn’t see and he had to pretty much crawl out.”
LifeCare reportedly transported the man to Weatherford Regional Hospital for minor injuries.