Earlier in the year, several men carried a man who was attending an Annetta city council meeting in a wheelchair down a short set of stairs.
The town can install a door to create a secure office area in one area of the building, the mayor told council members Thursday night.
The building has metal siding, a pier-and-beam foundation and a new shingle roof, according to city staff.
As it does with rent for the current building, the city will continue to split the cost of the city administration building, with 80 percent of the cost paid by the city’s water and sewer enterprise fund and the city subleasing the other 20 percent.
The council discussed eventually using the building primarily for employees working with the city’s sewer system.
Shortly after the council’s unanimous approval of the building purchase Thursday night, the electricity went out at city hall with the arrival of a thunderstorm, interupting discussion of the proposed budget for next fiscal year.
The council is expected to further discuss and adopt a budget during the continuation of the council meeting on Tuesday night.