Weatherford Democrat

November 30, 2012

Sheriff's report: Bank ATM damaged in theft attempt

Christin Coyne

PARKER COUNTY — A vehicle reported stolen out of Weatherford was reportedly found as deputies sought suspects involved in an attempted ATM theft at the Cool Banking Center, according to the Parker County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded to a theft in progress call from the bank in the 9000 block of Mineral Wells Highway in Cool shortly before 4 a.m. Nov. 23, call records indicate.

The complainant advised that suspects in a vehicle were attempting to take the ATM, according to the sheriff’s office.

They were unable to do so but damaged it.

The vehicle reportedly headed north on Farm-to-Market Road 113 before returning to the bank parking lot and then traveling eastbound on Mineral Wells Highway.

A deputy attempting to catch up with the vehicle found a business truck that had been previously reported stolen abandoned and still running on Newberry Road near the railroad tracks, spokeswoman Deputy Danie Huffman said.

A crime scene investigator with the sheriff’s office worked the scene, according to Huffman.

Wounded pursuit suspect arrested

A man deputies say was found with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound following a high speed pursuit through Parker County earlier this month was arrested Saturday on a warrant.

Robert Gatlin Burns, 35, was charged with evading arrest or detention with a vehicle and posted a $7,500 bond Saturday.

Deputies responded to a call regarding an armed subject in the 200 block of Wonder Drive in Reno shortly after 8:30 p.m. Nov. 7, Huffman told the Democrat at the time.

The man in a white Ford pickup appeared to have a rifle pointed toward his head, according to the sheriff’s office.

“He apparently put up clothing or something to block the view of deputies,” Huffman said, who added deputies were positioned 20 yards away from the man for officer safety.

After a period of time, the man began driving away, followed by deputies.

The pursuit on several roads in northeast Parker County reached speeds of 80 mph, according to the sheriff’s office.

The pursuit ended in the 100 block of Finneyoaks Lane, a dead end road in unincorporated Parker County.

Deputies, using a spotlight, saw the man appear to lay down in the vehicle and then extracted the man from the driver’s side of the vehicle.

While handcuffing the man and checking him for weapons, deputies noticed blood on his shirt in the left chest area due to an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the sheriff’s office reported.

LifeCare made scene and transported the man to a downtown Fort Worth hospital, where he was later reportedly transferred to ICU.

Officers took possession of a .22-caliber rifle as evidence, according to Huffman.

Intoxicated assault

A man, whose family claims he was highly intoxicated at the time, threatened his wife and mother-in-law with a knife after he began complaining about the selection of food in the house, police said.

Weatherford police arrested Richie Ricardo Calderon, 26, on Nov. 21 on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Officers responded to a residence in the 200 block of West Anderson shortly after 2 a.m. and found a woman with a baby crying and refusing to come out of a bedroom because she was scared, according to the probable cause affidavit. Calderon was also located hiding in the bathroom, according to police.

The man’s wife reportedly told officers that she arrived home after work around 1:30 a.m. and began arguing with Calderon, who was intoxicated and hungry, about the selection of food in the house.

After taking him to a restaurant to buy food, the woman told police that she and Calderon began arguing again when they arrived back home because Calderon was so intoxicated that he did not remember they had just purchased food and was upset about not having anything to eat.

He then went into the kitchen and grabbed a “steak knife” with a blade of about 8 to 9 inches long and came back into the living room yelling.

The woman said her mother, who had been sleeping with the woman’s infant daughter and came into the living room at the sound of them arguing, began retreating toward the bedroom and said she was calling police.

Calderon then went toward the woman’s mother, who barricaded the door with her body, the women told police, according to the probable statement.

The woman reportedly said she tried to get between Calderon and the door but he began banging on the door, telling the mother not to call police.

When officers arrived, Calderon put the knife away and hid in the couple’s bedroom and then the bathroom, according to the affidavit.

Calderon, who has several previous arrests on charges of public intoxication and assault family violence, remained in the Parker County Jail as of Thursday, jail records indicate.

Texas Parks and Wildlife pursuit

A suspect in a high speed pursuit that began in Mineral Wells with a Texas Parks and Wildlife officer and ended in Weatherford Saturday evening was also taken into custody and charged with evading arrest with a vehicle, according court records.

Isaias Abraham Alvarado, 19, fled a Texas Parks and Wildlife officer from the Lake Mineral Wells State Park around 7:15 p.m. after the Mineral Wells police department requested he locate a suspect, the officer wrote in his probable cause statement.

The silver 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer took off after the officer activated his lights and sirens on the patrol truck, the officer wrote. The pursuit on U.S. Highway 180 reportedly reached speeds exceeding 100 mph and ended in the 2500 block of U.S. Highway 180 East in Weatherford.

Alvarado did not have a driver’s license or proof of insurance and was arrested, according to the affidavit.

Jail records show he remained in the Parker County Jail as of Thursday.