Weatherford Democrat

January 4, 2014

Local man arrested on sexual assault of child charge

Cundiff also part of ongoing WPD sexual assault investigation

Weatherford Democrat


A Weatherford business owner, previously accused by two others of sexually assaulting teenage girls at his Weatherford home, has been arrested on warrants for aggravated sexual assault of a child brought by Fort Worth police.

Though the Democrat was unable to obtain details involving the charges that 72-year-old Walter Leon Cundiff was arrested on Tuesday, other court documents detail earlier investigations into allegations he sexually assaulted teens at his Weatherford home while providing them with alcohol, cigarettes or money.

Information obtained by Weatherford police during a sexual assault investigation in May is connected to the Fort Worth police investigation, according to Weatherford police.

On May 27, a 17-year-old girl reported to Weatherford police that she had been raped at Cundiff’s house earlier that weekend. Weatherford police said they were told that Cundiff called an employee around 10 p.m. May 25 and asked if the employee and the 17-year-old wanted to come over and have a few drinks.

After the three met at Cundiff’s house, Cundiff called two girls from Fort Worth to join them, the girl reportedly told police.

After several alcoholic drinks, the teen reported that she remembered being dragged into a room and stripped by Cundiff. Cundiff proceeded to rape her despite her attempts to get him off her and telling him to stop, the 17-year-old told officers.

The girl said she awoke later in the morning to Cundiff sexually assaulting her again, according to the search warrant affidavit. The teen said Cundiff again ignored her when she told him to stop.

Another employee of Cundiff’s reportedly told police that Cundiff left for the West Coast on May 27, the day officers showed up at his business regarding the complaint, and it was unknown when he would return.

Though Weatherford police executed a search warrant at the man’s home in the 2200 block of Lake Country Drive, detectives were not able to obtain any evidence supporting the reported offense, according to police.

Cundiff later called police and agreed to meet with detectives regarding the investigation but never showed up, according to the detective.

Weatherford police then charged Cundiff with providing alcohol to minors, a misdemeanor offense, and he was arrested and released on bond in October.

Weatherford police to date have not charged Cundiff with sexual assault but haven’t ruled out the possibility that he could face additional charges in connection with the case at some point in the future if additional evidence emerges.

Weatherford police also investigated a report in March 2009 from a woman who alleged Cundiff was bringing underage girls to his residence and having sex with them.

The woman, an immigrant who said Cundiff abused her and was afraid she would be deported from the U.S., alleged Cundiff brought between one and three teenage girls, including a 16-year-old, to his house several times a week to have sex with them, according to the search warrant affidavit.

The woman reportedly said Cundiff would bring the girls to his house almost daily, picking the girls up after school and supplying them with alcohol and cigarettes before taking them home.

She said she witnessed Cundiff pay the girls money and attempt to get a 12-year-old girl to come along after giving her money, according to Weatherford police.

Cundiff was not charged in connection with the allegations. 

Jail records show Fort Worth police obtained warrants for Cundiff on two charges of aggravated sexual assault of a child and one charge of sexual assault of a child.

Fort Worth police did not return a message left Friday and the Tarrant County District Clerk’s Office said the probable cause affidavits regarding the warrants had not yet been filed with them.

Cundiff was released Wednesday on $75,000 bond, according to jail records.

The Democrat left a voicemail for Cundiff Friday but was unable to reach him for comment by deadline.