Weatherford Democrat

June 28, 2013

Arrest made following shooting, manhunt

Weatherford Democrat


A man wanted after a shooting in Western Lake Estates late Wednesday night surrendered to authorities Thursday morning after a several-hour manhunt in the subdivision.

The shooting victim is a 48-year-old man who the Parker County Sheriff’s Office says intervened in a physical altercation between two coworkers. He was reported to be in stable condition in intensive care following surgery in a Fort Worth hospital, where he was flown after being shot in the abdomen.

Gary Lee Martin, 25, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and booked into the Parker County Jail. He remained incarcerated as of early Thursday afternoon under $20,000 bond.

Witnesses reportedly told deputies that the three men were standing outside Martin’s home in the 200 block of Tumbleweed Drive drinking and joking when Martin and a coworker became involved in a physical altercation.

Bleeding, Martin went inside his residence, retrieved a firearm and returned outside where he began fighting with his coworker again, according to the probable cause affidavit.

Authorities believe the 48-year-old man was attempting to break up the fight when he was shot in the stomach.

Martin reportedly took off into a nearby wooded area shortly before the ambulance arrived.

Responding deputy Daniel Britton reportedly found the gunshot victim lying on the ground in Martin’s front yard near a small-caliber revolver.

The man was airlifted from Tin Top Road to John Peter Smith hospital in Fort Worth.

Deputies, along with DPS troopers, set up a perimeter around area of the two lakes in the subdivision and a DPS helicopter helped canvass the area, according to the sheriff’s office. The Weatherford-Parker County Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team also assisted with the search.

Around 5 a.m., a relative of Martin’s contacted Britton and said Martin had returned home and would surrender to deputies, according to the sheriff’s office.

Martin was taken into custody a short time later.