Weatherford Democrat

July 21, 2013

Man who beat mother with hammer sentenced

Weatherford Democrat


A Cresson man who attacked his mother with a hammer during an argument in November pleaded guilty earlier this month to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and received seven years in prison.

Jacob Dwight Farren, 31, told his mother he was going to kill her as he beat her on the head with a large hammer and then attempted to gouge out her eyes with his thumbs, authorities charged.

The woman told the Weatherford Democrat last year that her son stopped before delivering another blow that she believed would likely have been fatal. Her injuries required 10 staples and 20 sutures.

She said her son, who has struggled with mental illness for years, had been diagnosed as bipolar and wasn’t on his medication.

Giving a victim impact statement in court this month, his mother told Farren that she still loved him, was proud of him and encouraged him to look to the future, Swain said.

Into officers’ arms

A burglar who left the crime scene and unknowingly ran up to Willow Park police officers while he was carrying stolen property was sentenced to 10 years in prison Tuesday.

Assistant District Attorney Jeff Swain said Orlando Hernandez Rodriguez, 37, of Grand Prairie, pleaded guilty to burglary of habitation and received a 10-year sentence from 43rd District Judge Craig Towson.

On March 12, officers began talking with someone they believed to be the unwitting getaway driver, who told the officers everything that was going on, Swain said. After the woman explained where Rodriguez went, officers went to the location.  

Rodriguez ran up to officers with three televisions taken from a fifth wheel RV parked at an RV repair business, according to Swain.

Rodriguez had four prior felony convictions for thefts, drugs and a burglary.  He had been released from prison in December.

Really drunk driver

A repeat drunk driver who was driving on the interstate after consuming what is typically considered a life-threatening amount of alcohol received eight years in prison after pleading guilty to his third DWI charge this week, according to the Parker County District Attorney’s Office.

Daniel Jay Morrell, 51, listed as an Odessa resident, was pulled over Nov. 7 around 4 p.m. by a Texas Highway Patrol trooper after an off-duty deputy called about the driver.

Morrell was traveling 34 mph along Interstate 20 at FM Road 1189, Swain said.

After failing field sobriety tests, Morrell was found to have a 0.30-percent blood-alcohol level, well over three times the legal limit, according to Swain.

Information provided by the hospital indicated possible affects at that level of intoxication include coma or death, Swain said.

Facing a possible 10 years in prison if convicted, Morrell pleaded guilty to the charge on Wednesday and received a sentence of eight years in prison.

Where there’s smoke

A thief who led authorities to himself by setting a fire in a warehouse received a seven-year sentence after pleading guilty to state jail felony thefts, according to Swain.

Deputies discovered Danny Wayne Turner, 51, after responding to a business in the 1200 block of East State Highway 199 where a vehicle was reported stolen from and the doors to the business were reported damaged.

The stolen van was later located at another location on Highway 199 and it was found to have been stripped and missing tools and equipment.

As deputies investigated the recovered van, they saw smoke and fire coming from a warehouse where Turner was found to be burning wire to remove the insulation, according to the sheriff’s office.