A fire late Monday afternoon claimed a small home in the 1000 block of Fort Worth Highway where a 82-year-old man and his dog were living.
Guadalupe Charles, known as “Poppy,” said he was outside smoking a cigarette when fire exploded inside the house he has rented for several years.
A neighbor said he heard Charles yelling for his dog as flames came from the house.
Sitting in a wooden chair, one of his few remaining possessions, next to the gas station across the street, Charles watched Weatherford and Hudson Oaks firefighters put out the blaze Monday evening.
A neighbor said she took in Charles’ dog, which escaped the fire.
Details on how the fire is believed to have started were not available early Monday evening.