• Buildings, fences, porches and patios on the property are in good repair (i.e., minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction).
• Extra consideration may be given to properties that have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces (e.g., pottery, ironwork), potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc.
• Yard is free of litter, junk and debris (no appliances or indoor furniture on porches or patios).
• Yard is free of junked or inoperable vehicles.
• House numbers are clearly and attractively displayed.
• Added decorations for holidays that are attractive and pleasing to the eye.
Nominations should be submitted to the City of Weatherford Parks and Recreation Office at 119 Palo Pinto Street, Weatherford, Texas 76087; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or by phone to 817-598-4124.
Submissions will also be called for on a regular basis via the Parks and Recreation Facebook page.
When submitting a nomination the following information must be provided:
• The complete address of the property nominated (include which of the five designated areas the property is located if possible).
• A brief sentence or two stating why the nomination should be selected as “Recognized Yard.”
• A picture of the property if possible (pictures with cell phones are acceptable).
Nominations are restricted to residential properties within the city limits of Weatherford; therefore, if a nomination does not include an address, it will not be judged. Each yard will be limited to winning the award only once every three years.
Danielle Felts, director of Parks, Recreation & Special Events, is encouraged that the program will be an ongoing success.
“Due to the fact that smart phones are so prevalent, we are in hopes that it will be easy for individuals to snap a picture of a nomination with their phone and email it and the address directly to us,” she said. “By getting staff involved nominations should not be a problem at all; our employees work hard day in and day out to help make Weatherford a great place to live, work, and play, and enjoy recognizing residents who do the same.”