The 32nd Annual Candlelight Tour of Homes is this Saturday, Dec. 14, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Parker County Heritage Society, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the buildings, sites, and documents that provide the “uniqueness of place” for Parker County, sponsors this annual and festive event.
Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for children ages 12 and younger, and can be purchased now through Saturday at the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce, 401 Fort Worth Highway, which accepts cash and checks, and the Doss Heritage and Culture Center, 1400 Texas Drive, which accepts cash, checks, credit cards and Paypal.
Eight homes and venues will be featured on this year’s tour, and they may be visited in any order. Volunteer docents, some of whom will be elegantly attired in period clothing, will inform and entertain visitors at each location. Many of this year’s stops on the tour have never been featured before, or have not been on the tour in many years. They are:
Doss Heritage and Culture Center
1400 Texas Drive
The Doss Center is a Texas history museum that showcases permanent and traveling exhibits in three state-of-the-art galleries. Don’t miss the special, newly-expanded gallery celebrating the 100th birthday of Broadway star Mary Martin. The Heritage Gallery showcases the heritage of this area. A large, open room adapts to large and small meetings, conferences and celebrations.
Chandor Home and Gardens
711 W. Lee Ave.
On this city-owned site can be found the art studio/home and English/Chinese gardens created by English portrait artist Douglas Chandor and his wife, Ina. Queen Elizabeth II, Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill are just a few of the illustrious people captured on canvas by Chandor.
904 S. Main St.
The Lewis House is a Queen Anne Victorian-style house built in 1899 by John R. Lewis. Robert Preston Henry purchased the home in 1978 and, after finding an original photograph, he began to restore it to its current architectural splendor. Formerly occupied by Providence Title, now owned and occupied by Milner Real Estate and PDR Construction, this house has not been on the tour since 1996.
Parker County Courthouse
Built from 1884 to 1886, the historic Parker County Courthouse is a Second Empire-style design by architect W.C. Dodson. It is the fourth courthouse for Parker County and was built at a cost of $55,555.55. The courthouse was restored to its original interior design as part of the Historic Texas Courthouse Preservation Program from 2002 to 2004. It remains a working courthouse and houses of the offices of Parker County Judge Mark Riley as well as County Court-at-Law Judge Ben Akers and County Clerk Jeanne Brunson. Self-guided tours will be available throughout the day of the tour. One-hour guided tours will be given by Judge Riley at 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
All Saints’ Anglican Church
125 S. Waco St.
All Saints Episcopal Church came into existence in July 1875. The present building, completed in 1923, was constructed of triple brick in the Gothic architecture style typical of English churches. Beautiful stained glass windows depict various teachings of the church. The stone baptismal font and walnut alms are from the original 1876 church building. Many of the other furnishings date from the 1920s and 1930s. The church has a Texas historical marker. It became known as All Saints’ Anglican Church in 2013.
202 W. Oak St.
Built around 1897 by Robert Lowe, this lovely Queen Anne Victorian has never been on the tour. The home features original woodwork, floors and transoms. It is best known as a boyhood home of former Speaker of the House Jim Wright Jr., who also served as mayor of Weatherford from 1950-54. Purchased by the City of Weatherford in 2009 to prevent demolition, this home currently houses the fire department headquarters and the city’s Office of Economic Development. The home was recently designated as a historic site by the Texas Historical Commission.
212 S. Alamo St.
This lovely home was built between 1890 and 1900 by Henry L. Brevard and his wife, Anna. Henry Brevard taught at Weatherford High School and later became a longtime employee of the Merchants and Farmers National Bank in Weatherford. On tour for the very first time, this home features original floors and woodwork, pocket doors, and decorative hardware. Enlarged and modernized over the years, the Brevard House retains old-home charm while also providing functionality needed by today’s families.
410 W. Spring St.
Never before on the Candlelight Tour, this home was built in 1892 by Jasper N. Haney but is known for being the family home of H.E. Altfather. Originally a dog run-style with an open-air center and four rooms, it has been expanded over time to its current design. Major restoration in 2001 led to a discovery of small pieces of the home’s original wallpaper, which the owner had custom replicated. The charm of the Altfather House stems from the beauty of its appointments and the stories associated with its furnishings, some of which have been passed from owner to owner for more than 100 years.