Weatherford Democrat

Online Only

May 28, 2013

Cat blamed for house fire

CHESTERFIELD, Ind. — A mischievous feline is blamed for a house fire last week that killed at least one animal.

Firefighters were called last Thursday morning to a one-story home in this community, about an hour's drive north of Indianapolis. They doused the fire within about 15 minutes, containing it to the living room.

Mark Carman, deputy chief of the Chesterfield-Union Township Fire Department, said the trouble seems to be the work of one of six cats living in the house. The cat apparently knocked over a lamp, shattering the bulb and starting the fire.

The house's owners were uninjured, he said, and two pet dogs were rescued. Firefighters found only two cats, one of which died at the scene.

---

Details for this story were reported by the Herald-Bulletin of Anderson, Ind.

1
Text Only
Online Only
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN