“AVFD has never communicated that their inability to raise enough money was forcing them into this position. Donations are way down but they want to continue operating under their own rules and as they see fit. This has never been in a participatory way with any of the cities in the area served by them. They have been an island unto themselves for over 61 years. They now find themselves in a position in which they are absolutely desperate and need a bailout.”
The Aledo VFD has been attending Annetta Township budget meetings hat in hand for years requesting any and all support the townships will give. They have averaged in the last six years just $1,300 in annual support collectively, which is only about one half of 1 percent of our annual operating budget!
Last Wednesday evening (May 1) the Aledo VFD had a town hall meeting at the Aledo Community Center for citizens to address their concerns about Annexation into ESD 1. The mayor was there chastising the firefighters for not coming to Annetta to plead their case. We have done this repeatedly for years! He essentially tried to blame the fire department that we don’t have better donations.
Let’s consider this for a minute. Volunteer firefighters have full-time jobs. They then return home to their full-time volunteer job. Here is just a little of what we have on our plates:
• Answering emergency medical and fire calls .
• Spend hours keeping the fire house in order.
• Spend hours keeping the equipment in running order.
• Spend hours keeping their certifications current and attending skills training.
• Spending hours recruiting and training new volunteers.
• Keeping up with ordering equipment and supplies.
• Writing grants when available to help pay for equipment.
• Keeping a variety of statistics and financial records.
• AND, exhaustive efforts required raising the money to do it all.