Women deserve respect
Sixty-eight years ago I was staying with an aunt in Toyar, Texas, helping her after she had her second child. The men were in the dining room talking — I was in the kitchen and eavesdropped on their conversation. They were discussing women.
One older man said, “The best part of the human race are the women” then he said, “The worst woman in the world is better than the best man.”
I still remember those words and have found them to be true. It’s time the rest of the world realized that and learned to treat us with the respect a woman is due.
North Richland Hills
Mormon beliefs do differ from other Christians
In responce to Neil Newbold`s letter on Mormonism here is a brief comparison of what Christians and Mormons believe.
Mormon Theology Christian Response
• The church has four standard works that are authoritative: the Bible (in so far as it is translated correctly), the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. Speeches and writings of the current president of the church are also authoritative. The Bible is far below the other standard works because it is full of errors (wherever it disagrees with Mormon doctrine).
• The only authoritative scriptures given by God are the 39 books of the Old Testament and the New Testament of the Bible. God promised to preserve his word and to suggest that the Bible was mistranslated and corrupted would be to call God a liar. If God were to give additional revelations they would be consistent with any prior revelations thus eliminating Mormon writings, since they stand in direct opposition to the divine revelation that has already been given in the Bible.
• There are many Gods. Brigham Young-Journal of Discourses 7:333 “How many Gods there are, I do not know. But there never was a time when there were not Gods.”
• There is only one God. (Dt 6:4; 33:26-27; Isa 43:10; 45:5; 46:9; 1Ti 2:5)
The Nature of God
• God the Father is an exalted man (a man who has progressed to godhood) with a body of flesh and bones. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 1973 ed., p. 346 — “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man ... I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in a form-like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man.” D&C 130:22 “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also.”
• The Bible is most explicit in stating that God is not a man (Nu 23:19; 1Sa 15:29; Hos 11:9). God the Father, the eternal God is Spirit (Isa 55:8-9; 6:1-5; 57:15; Pss 90:2; 113:5-6; 123:1; Jn 4:24: 8:23) Jesus said that a spirit does not have flesh and bones (Lk 24:39).
Women deserve respect
NOW HEAR THIS: Laying off the straightest row
Whatever the challenge, wherever the task at hand, I find it refreshing to see people doing their absolute best to ensure a job done well. It doesn’t matter whether someone is a brain surgeon or a garbage truck driver, there can still be pride in one’s work ethic.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: I’m sure you’ll agree
Our government, Democrats and Republicans, are showing they know nothing about finances.
Texas public schools: What do you know about HB 5?
On June 10, Gov. Rick Perry signed into law one of the most-significant educational bills passed by the 83rd Legislative Session. Known as House Bill 5 – abbreviated as HB 5 – this bill made sweeping changes to our Texas educational landscape.
TISCIONE: The divine organization
The Church of Jesus Christ is both an organism and an organization. The Bible defines the church as the body of Christ. (Colossians 1:18)
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Why I am a Republican
I hope that you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are looking forward to a very Merry Christmas!
NOW HEAR THIS: Autumn – palate of color to enjoy
While I look forward each fall to the cool weather associated with the change of seasons, a wonderful side effect of this transition is the explosion of brilliantly colored foliage.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Communities will miss the work, caring of Dr. Singh
On Wednesday, Nov. 27, well over a hundred well-wishers joined together at Palo Pinto General Hospital to congratulate Dr. Lakheram Singh on his retirement from active practice, after more than 36 years of dedicated service to the people of this county and North Texas.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No sympathy for Republicans
On Thursday the U.S. Senate returned to democracy by changing a senate rule that lowered the number of votes necessary to approve a presidential appointee to the federal courts and administration offices to a simple majority of 51.
NOW HEAR THIS: Playing catch up with the past
Quite regularly, I receive in the mail various solicitations from the alumni association of my old college alma mater. Rarely do I actually open and read them. They normally go directly into “File 13.”
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Enjoying his place in time
Larry Jones’ columns on Sunday are always amusing and informative, as was his book, “Now Hear This,” published several years ago.
- More Viewpoints Headlines
- NOW HEAR THIS: Laying off the straightest row