Women deserve respect
Sixty-eight years ago I was staying with an aunt in Toyar, Texas, helping her after she had her second child. The men were in the dining room talking — I was in the kitchen and eavesdropped on their conversation. They were discussing women.
One older man said, “The best part of the human race are the women” then he said, “The worst woman in the world is better than the best man.”
I still remember those words and have found them to be true. It’s time the rest of the world realized that and learned to treat us with the respect a woman is due.
North Richland Hills
Mormon beliefs do differ from other Christians
In responce to Neil Newbold`s letter on Mormonism here is a brief comparison of what Christians and Mormons believe.
Mormon Theology Christian Response
• The church has four standard works that are authoritative: the Bible (in so far as it is translated correctly), the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. Speeches and writings of the current president of the church are also authoritative. The Bible is far below the other standard works because it is full of errors (wherever it disagrees with Mormon doctrine).
• The only authoritative scriptures given by God are the 39 books of the Old Testament and the New Testament of the Bible. God promised to preserve his word and to suggest that the Bible was mistranslated and corrupted would be to call God a liar. If God were to give additional revelations they would be consistent with any prior revelations thus eliminating Mormon writings, since they stand in direct opposition to the divine revelation that has already been given in the Bible.
• There are many Gods. Brigham Young-Journal of Discourses 7:333 “How many Gods there are, I do not know. But there never was a time when there were not Gods.”
• There is only one God. (Dt 6:4; 33:26-27; Isa 43:10; 45:5; 46:9; 1Ti 2:5)
The Nature of God
• God the Father is an exalted man (a man who has progressed to godhood) with a body of flesh and bones. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 1973 ed., p. 346 — “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man ... I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in a form-like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man.” D&C 130:22 “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also.”
• The Bible is most explicit in stating that God is not a man (Nu 23:19; 1Sa 15:29; Hos 11:9). God the Father, the eternal God is Spirit (Isa 55:8-9; 6:1-5; 57:15; Pss 90:2; 113:5-6; 123:1; Jn 4:24: 8:23) Jesus said that a spirit does not have flesh and bones (Lk 24:39).