Weatherford Democrat

November 3, 2013

Vikes second-half surge trumps Weatherford

Weatherford Democrat


ARLINGTON — Perhaps to cap off a weird week in District 3-5A football — that may yet remain odd — Weatherford  found itself on the wrong end of a couple of baffling calls from the refs on Friday in its district contest at Cravens Field against Arlington Lamar.

The eventual outcome of the game may have indeed been the same, a 42-10 win by Lamar, but a momentum-halting decision by the refs left some wondering “what if.”

Much to the chagrin of Roo players, coaches and fans, the failure of game officials to stop the clock after running back Jeuqwan Brownlee had taken himself, along with a couple of Lamar tacklers out of bounds, cost Weatherford at least a couple of opportunities to cover six yards for end zone paydirt and the opportunity to go into halftime down by a mere touchdown after trailing by three TDs at the end of the first period.

The perplexing call, coupled with a Lamar score on the heels of a blatant motion non-call, overshadowed an admirable second-quarter comeback that saw the Roo defense force three punts and a takeaway in the period.

Despite the officials errors and the final score, Weatherford head coach Weldon Nelms had plenty of praise for the Kangaroo squad.

“We’re still improving. We’re getting better every time we go out,” Nelms said. “It’s just a shame we’re so late in the season. This the first time we have come to Arlington on a road game and really played a pretty good game.

“We had some tough calls go against us, but like always, our kids kept fighting.”

In the third period, Lamar scored on its first possession, but the Roo defense remained stubborn through the rest of the period, not yielding again until the fourth. 

The Weatherford offense, which saw both Bryce Burks and Grant Werts taking snaps and sharing measured success, could not sustain a second-half drive to answer the Vikings scores. But there were highlights nonetheless, including a circus catch by wideout Tyler Scoggin, who one-armed a Werts toss with a Lamar defender hanging onto the other arm — and no flag thrown.

Earlier in the week, Arlington Martin was hit with three game forfeitures purportedly due to paperwork not completed on a player who had begun the year at Arlington High and transferred to Martin.

The result tacked three district losses on Martin and awarded a forfeit-win each to Paschal, North Crowley and Weatherford. The issue is yet open though, pending a review of the move to be conducted on Tuesday.

Weatherford returns to Roo Stadium again on Friday to play its fourth and final home game on Senior Night. WHS will take on Arlington Sam Houston, who fell to Martin on Thursday, 52-13.

While rueful the season is soon coming to an end with the improved level of play the Roos have exhibited the past couple of weeks, Nelms is yet intent to add another positive punctuation to the mix.

“You can tell we are playing with more confidence,” he said. “We’ll continue to work hard and hopefully end this season on a good note next week.”