By GREG WEBB
The Aledo Bearcats have hardly ever been short of offensive firepower — certainly not in recent memory, anyway.
Even a few years back, when hiking the ball to quarterback Cole Loftin and watching him run 30 or 40 times a game, the result was lots of yards and plenty of points.
Then the offense expanded considerably in the Johnathan Gray years, with the run game boosted to another level, while Matthew Bishop elevated the passing game.
Fast forward to 2013, and the marquee headlining the Aledo offense gets downright crowded. With Bishop — (the younger) Luke — spearheading the Bearcats’ attack at quarterback, the effective arsenal being thrown at opposing defenses thus far in the season has been unmerciful.
The Bearcats have produced 490 yards per game in their three outings against teams one can not really classify as lightweights. And how Aledo is creating the output is even more impressive.
Average rushing yards are just under 230 yards per contest, representing 46 percent of the production, leaving the other 54 percent to the aerial game. That ratio makes it incredibly difficult for defenses to shut down any facet of the scheme, lest the alternate attack burn them just as badly.
Daythan Davis, Ryan Newsome and Jess Anders share the leading rusher and leading scorer slots, all with three averaging five yards per rush or higher and knotted at 24 points, each.
Taco Anderson, John Whatley and Newsome are the top receivers for the Bearcats. Anderson has 14 catches, while Whatley and Newsome are averaging more than 25 and 24 yards per catch, respectively.
Scoring nearly 50 points per contest, with a defense led by Jordan Mittie, Matthew Hawkins and Brock Parker yielding barely more than a touchdown per tilt ... well, that translates to a 3-0 start, a current No. 1 ranking in Class 4A and a multi-faceted headache for the rest of District 7-4A, which begins play on Friday.
The Bearcats will play at Arlington Heights, with a 7:30 p.m. kickoff. Fans should secure a roster to keep up with the cast.