Weatherford Democrat

April 28, 2013

Senior Night short, sweet

Roos blast Arlington Houston with a 12-0 run-ruled victory

Weatherford Democrat


Weatherford fans began the night showing appreciation to the formidable band of seniors who have been major contributors to the varsity Kangaroos season. Ten seniors, including the Roos manager, Amanda Wacasey, were introduced with brief bios accompanying introductions. 

Soon after the seniors were recognized, Roo fans were able to appreciate the WHS bats, that got busy early in the contest with the Texans. 

Weatherford came close to a big inning in their first at bat, loading the bases. The Roos settled for a single run in the frame, when Will Young’s sacrifice fly to left field sent Andrew Healy across home plate.

Senior Matt Riney climbed the mound at Raymond E. Curtis for the last time in regular season play and made the best of his final appearance on this night, or at least for the three innings he pitched.

Riney, headed to Texas Tech next fall, allowed no hits and struck out four, facing the minimum nine Texan batters over the three frames.

Weatherford head coach Terry Massey  spelled Riney in the fourth, inserting classmate Grayson Huffman, who also faced the minimum over the final six outs, after allowing a single hit, but picking off the runner on first base.

Weatherford’s second at bat looked dubious in its beginning, but the Roos were able to do a good bit of damage with two outs, in fact, all of the second-inning damage.

Three-straight free passes followed a pair of fly ball outs, and the Roos were off and running the base paths, but with a new Texans pitcher.

Tony Rodriguez began the scoring when he trotted home after a passed ball.

A spate of hits ensued, begun by a double off the bat of Andy Rogers, which pushed two more runs across.

Three singles in a row, from Young, Blake Lagrassa and Huffman resulted in three more runs.

The pitching change did little to help Houston’s situation, with two more runs scoring on wild pitches as WHS kept up the pressure with aggressive base running.

The Texans coach again changed pitchers, trying to stem the flow of Weatherford runs. Batting around in the order in the second inning,   Healy took the third pitcher to task, stroking a big hit into deep right-center. The blast cleared the bases, but when Healy tried to turn the triple into a 4-bagger, the Texans relay found home plate ahead of the Roos catcher for the final out of the inning.

When the dust had cleared, WHS had scored nine 2-out runs and led the game 10 -0.

Weatherford scored another run in the fourth, while Riney and Huffman kept Houston at bay, ending the game in five innings per the mercy rule.