Weatherford Democrat

September 11, 2013

Giants deny Dallas claim they faked injuries


Weatherford Democrat

— EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — The Giants are denying an allegation from Dallas’ Jerry Jones that they faked injuries during a long touchdown drive by the Cowboys in New York’s season-opening loss.

Jones said after Dallas’ 36-31 victory Sunday night “it was so obvious it was funny” when linebacker Dan Connor and defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins went out on consecutive plays in the second quarter, stopping the clock each time.

Tony Romo and Jason Witten appeared to complain to officials while Jenkins was down. Witten caught a 15-yard scoring pass from Romo to finish the nine-play, 71-yard drive late in the first half.

Connor, who played for the Cowboys last year, did not return to the game. Jenkins did return, and no injury update was given.

“It’s absolutely not true,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. “Both players were injured. Connor never returned to the game. Cullen was in a position where he needed to regroup. That really wasn’t orchestrated at all.”

“If somebody goes down, you have to respect what’s going on with that player and make sure you handle it the right way,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said.

Giants safety Antrel Rolle said it was obvious Connor wasn’t faking because he didn’t return, and he said Jones should just be satisfied with beating New York in the opener for the second straight year.

The Giants had six turnovers, but still had a chance in the closing minutes because Eli Manning had 450 yards passing and four touchdowns, including three to Victor Cruz.

Dallas had two defensive touchdowns, including a 49-yard interception return by Brandon Carr when the Giants were within six points in the final 2 minutes.