Weatherford Democrat

Top News

January 9, 2014

FAMILY LEFT IN FIRE'S RUINS

Cats survive, everything else lost in house fire

By CHRISTIN COYNE

A Weatherford family, including four young children, was left with little more than the clothes on their back after a fire destroyed their home Thursday morning.

No one was home when the fire started in a two-story home in the 500 block of North Boundary Street around 9 a.m. Thursday morning.

The foggy conditions likely delayed detection of the fire, according to the Weatherford Fire Department.

Flames were coming from the back of the house prior to firefighters’ arrival, according to a neighbor.

“They basically lost everything,” Weatherford Fire Marshal Bob Hopkins said, adding that the family was not insured.

Resident Michael Trevino, who had been out of work for some time, had recently taken a job in North Dakota to support his family when the fire occurred, according to his mother. He was driving home Thursday evening to be with his family.

A neighbor who saw the fire, David Aiken, said he contacted the man’s wife, who was at work at the time.

The couple’s four children, ages 12 to 5 years old, were in school when the fire broke out.

The family’s two dogs had not been accounted for as of Thursday evening. However, firefighters found a cat walking through the remains of the fire suppression foam in the front yard as they worked to extinguish the blaze. The family’s other cat survived the fire, as well.

Hopkins said he wasn’t yet sure how the fire started but would be looking at whether there was an electrical cause. 

Aiken, who coauthored a book on the history of Weatherford, said the house was the former residence of the Vandagriff family, including J. Elaine Vandagriff, the namesake of Vandagriff Elementary School in Aledo.

Those interested in helping the family move into a new home and replace their belongings can donate at www.gofundme.com/656fnw.

1
Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results