The best gift a friend can give is to be a good listener. Some other ways friends can strengthen their relationship are:
• Stay in contact by phone, email or in person.
• Allow your friends to express emotions. Many emotions may be unpleasant, but be empathetic.
• Pay attention to your friend’s feelings and his or her perception of the seriousness of the situation.
• Being non-judgmental and not offering advice unless asked.
• Preparing a meal and delivering it to your friend’s home.
• Doing your friend’s laundry.
• Running an errand for your friend.
• Offering to relieve caregivers of their responsibilities.
Kathy Smith is a Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service agent for Parker County. Contact her at (817) 598-6168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.