Weatherford Democrat

Top News

January 6, 2013

Homeowner taken to hospital during fire

By CHRISTIN COYNE

CRESSON – As firefighters battled a blaze that destroyed a large two-story house north of Cresson Friday afternoon, the 48-year-old homeowner was transported by ground ambulance to a Fort Worth hospital for reported non-life-threatening injuries.

Flames were coming through the roof and the structure was well-involved when firefighters arrived on scene in the 100 block of West Hidden Meadow Court after being dispatched shortly after 2 p.m., Cresson VFD Fire Chief Joe Huffman said.

The fire went to four alarms primarily because of a need for water to extinguish the large blaze, according to Huffman.

Firefighters had to fight the structure fire defensively because of the advanced stage and the house was considered a total loss.

Responding Parker County fire departments included Cresson, Aledo, Springcreek, Willow Park and Silver Creek, as well as fire departments from Tarrant, Johnson and Hood counties. Cresson volunteers didn’t arrive back at their station until shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, according to Huffman.

Two neighbors across the street saw smoke, found the homeowner unconscious next to a skid-steer loader outside the house and pulled him away from the house, Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said, who said it wasn’t clear if the man was injured attempting to fight the fire.

Firefighters initially requested a helicopter but the man was transported by LifeCare to a Fort Worth hospital. Officials say the man’s medical history may have contributed to the decision to transport him.

Though neighbors reported hearing an explosion, the home itself did not explode, according to Scott.

The propane was connected to the house and those lines were venting, contributing to the spread of the fire, according to Scott. The construction of the house - the open floor spread, as well as the common attic - also lent to the quick spread of the fire.

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results