“You could not see six inches in front of your face and you could feel the heat from the fire, which was in the kitchen,” he said. “I got to her and told her to get a deep breath while she was leaning her head out the window. I quickly started guiding her from the bedroom towards the front door. As we made our way into the living room she became overwhelmed by the smoke and began coughing uncontrollably.”
At that point Watson had to grab the woman under her shoulders and pull her out the front door.
Watson, being a certified peace officer, firefighter and EMT quickly took an assessment of Wood’s health and took her vitals. Her smoke inhalation was alleviated with oxygen that he had in his emergency vehicle.
While Watson was treating Wood, ESD 6 firefighters made the scene and put the fire out, saving the home by limiting the fire damage to the kitchen.
Wood said she was blessed.
“I am very grateful to Frank,” she said, adding that it was “a blessing” that he was able to get to her as quickly as he did.
Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said risking a life to save a life is just part of the business.
“I am extremely proud of the effort put forth by Frank,” Scott said. “We are here to serve and protect. I am glad he was there to do it and that nobody was severely injured.”
Watson said the cause of the fire was determined to be the result of a stove being left on.
“It really was a team effort because as I was busy helping the home owner the firefighters were able to get in there and put out the fire,” Watson said. “I believe we were just minutes away from fire spreading throughout the house. Thankfully they were able to contain it to the stove, oven and vent-a-hood.”
Watson stuck around as firefighters worked until just after 1 a.m. Tuesday venting the smoke from the house and making sure it was safe for Wood to re-enter.