Volunteers with the AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide program are gearing up to help area residents with their 2013 income tax returns. The volunteers are trained and tested in current tax law using IRS material to assist in filing basic income tax returns such as a form 1040 with schedules A, B, D, EIC, M, R, SE, and limited Schedules C and E.
Appointments are available at the following locations (call the numbers shown to make an appointment or drop by and make an appointment in person):
• Tuesday – Azle Senior Center, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 817-444-0070.
• Wednesday – Boyce Ditto Library, noon to 5 p.m., 940-328-7880.
• Thursday – Mineral Wells Senior Center, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., 940-325-6470; Azle Library – 3-7 p.m., 817-444-7216; Weatherford Public Library, 3-7 p.m., 817-598-4150.
• Friday – Azle Library, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 817-444-7216; Weatherford Public Library, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 817-598-4150.
• Saturday – Weatherford Library, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 817-598-4150.
The program provides free tax help for area resident taxpayers with special attention to those age 60 and older. However, you don’t have to be a member of AARP or over age 60. Taxpayers with complex returns are advised to seek paid tax assistance.
People who are interested in seeking help from the AARP Tax-Aide volunteers should bring the following items with them when they come in:
• Copy of last year’s income tax return.
• W-2 forms from each employer.
• Unemployment compensation forms.
• SSA-1099 form if they were paid Social Security Benefits.
• All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or Dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of assets sold.
• 1099-misc showing any miscellaneous income.
• 1099-R form if they received a pension or annuity.
• All forms indicating federal income tax paid.
• Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID number or social security number and address).
• All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions.
• Social Security cards or other official documentation for themselves and for their dependents.