Weatherford Democrat

Top News

December 6, 2012

Millsap home destroyed in fire

MILLSAP — The home of three Millsap residents was destroyed by fire early Monday but not before the one occupant at the time woke up and managed to get out without incident, fire officials report.

Millsap VFD, along with volunteers from Greenwood, Cool-Garner and Brock-Dennis, responded to the fire in the 400 block of Pine Street around 12:30 a.m. Monday, Millsap Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Edwards said.

The fire had already gone through the roof and was visible to neighbors, including the Millsap fire chief, when the department was notified, Edwards said.

The one occupant at the time was already out of the brick, single-story home and the roof was well-involved when firefighters arrived.

“The whole thing is still kind of open at this point,” Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said about the cause. However, he said he suspects the fire may have started as a result of an electrical issue.

There were signs of electrical stress in the ceiling that overhangs the back porch, and he was unable to find anything else out of the ordinary, according to Scott. “There were no signs of malicious intent or anything.”  

Homeowner Ryan Irwin reported he was asleep and woke up because he was hot, Scott said. “When he went to turn on the fan, he noticed water coming through the ceiling.”

Although the fire was pretty much contained to the attic, the collapse of the roof during the fire made the house a total loss, officials said. However, the man was able to move his car away from the home in time.

Both of the man’s roommates were reported to be out of town at the time - one was starting a new job and was staying in Dallas, while the other was moving out, Scott said.

1
Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Palestinians and Israeli Soldiers Clash Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kerry: No Deal Yet on 7-Day Gaza Truce Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Gaza Residents Mourn Dead Amid Airstrikes Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp Cumberbatch Brings 'Penguins' to Comic-Con Raw: Air Algerie Crash Site in Mali Power to Be Restored After Wash. Wildfire Crashed Air Algerie Plane Found in Mali Israel Mulls Ceasefire Amid Gaza Offensive
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results