Weatherford Democrat

Top News

December 13, 2012

2 Aledo-area residents lose home

By CHRISTIN COYNE

ccoyne@weatherforddemocrat.com

ALEDO - Two residents were displaced in a residential fire Wednesday morning that the fire marshal believes started as a result of poor electrical work.

The modest single-story brick home located in the 9000 block of Bankhead Highway between Willow Park and Aledo was destroyed despite the efforts of firefighters from Aledo, Willow Park, Hudson Oaks, Silver Creek and Weatherford.

Heavy fire and smoke was coming out of the roof when firefighters arrived, Aledo Fire Chief Morris Leondar said.

Using water drafted from a nearby pond, firefighters made an interior attack on the fire but were eventually forced to pull out of the house, according to Leondar.

Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said the fire appeared to originate in the ceiling above the kitchen area before falling into the kitchen.

The homeowner reported hearing popping noises in the wall prior to the fire, according to Scott.

They found many signs of electrical stress and evidence of uncertified electrical work in the house, including connections taped together and not placed in proper junction boxes, Scott said.

Two days prior to the fire, there was an issue with a transformer near the house and it had been replaced, according to Scott.

The building was separated into two living units and no one was occupying the west end of the residence, according to Scott.

Scott said the responding fire departments had good response times to the incident, with Willow Park and Aledo arriving at nearly the same time.

The Red Cross was on hand to assist the two residents and, along with Parker County CERT, provided water and drinks to firefighters.

“I’m glad no one got hurt but I’m sorry it had to happen, especially this time of year,” Leondar said.

1
Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Senators Push to End Hamas Threat in Cease-Fire A Young Victim's Premonition, Hug Before MH17 Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results