Weatherford Democrat

December 26, 2013

Man burned in RV fire recovering


Weatherford Democrat

— By CHRISTIN COYNE

An RV fire south of Weatherford on Christmas left a man, who was sleeping inside the vehicle at the time, with third-degree burns.

The man escaped the burning motor home when family members saw the fire and helped him get out.

Firefighters from Spring Creek VFD, Weatherford Fire Department and Greenwood VFD responded to the fire in the 3800 block of Old Dennis Road around 6:30 p.m. and found the RV on fire, according to ESD No. 6 Chief George Teague, who said one patient was lying on the ground outside when they arrived.

The man had third-degree burns to several parts of his body and was transported to John Peter Smith hospital before being transferred to Parkland hospital in Dallas, according to Teague.

Firefighters said the fire may have started due to a space heater in the residence.

The man’s mother told the Democrat her daughter and her husband saw the smoke from their house nearby and went to the RV.

Her son, Scott Peoples, was attempting to get out and fell out of the motor home when family members were able to get the door loose, she said.

She said she did not yet know the extent of her son’s injuries but said he was alert and talking.

Peoples lost all his possessions in the fire, she said.