PARKER COUNTY —
A man was arrested Tuesday, after police say, he assaulted his roommate with a fire poker and injured her stepsons when they came to her rescue.
George Fisher III, 39, of Weatherford, was charged with second degree felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon - family violence.
Dispatched to the 1200 block of Liberty Street around 4 p.m. Tuesday, a responding police officer reported he found two juveniles holding a large man to the ground and a metal fire poker laying on the floor nearby.
A 42-year-old woman told police that Fisher threatened to break the windows of her residence using a fire poker if she didn’t go buy beer for him.
He later became angry, throwing the television remote control into the wall causing damage and attempted to pick up the poker, the woman told police.
However, the woman also attempted to grab the poker to keep Fisher from injuring her, but failed, and they fought over it, she reportedly told police.
They wrestled and Fisher pinned her down on the couch, when the woman screamed for her stepsons, who were visiting and outside the room, according to the probable cause statement.
The two each told police that they found Fisher with the poker in his hand, holding it in a position that they believed he was going to strike her, the officer wrote.
They tackled Fisher, and Fisher reportedly struck them both, injuring them, though they were able to hold him down until police arrived.
Electrical issues cause house fires
Two house fires Sunday and Tuesday in northern Parker County were likely the result of electrical issues, Parker County fire marshals said.
A five-alarm house fire that began around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday off of Meadow View Trail is believed to have begun as a result of electrical failure in a light fixture in the master bathroom, Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said.
The building was a two-story modular home with several additions and was considered a total loss due to smoke and flame damage, according to fire officials.
No one was home at the time and officials had been unable to contact the owner as of Wednesday afternoon, according to Scott. Two people were believed to live there.
Manpower from departments as far away as Bridgeport and Tarrant County reportedly responded, according to fire officials. The additional backup was needed as firefighters battled the high temperatures and humidity level, as well as the house fire.
“It was 108 [degrees] when I checked at the scene,” Scott said.
Firefighters said the fire took several hours to put out.
Gnawing rodents may have led to a double-wide mobile home fire on Valley Meadows Drive Sunday evening that displaced four residents, according to Parker County fire marshal investigator Lanny Padgett.
A homeowner said the breakers tripped and she turned the electricity back on shortly before the fire, Padgett said, adding he found bare wires consistent with rodents chewing them.
Firefighters were able to contain it to the living room and kitchen, though there was smoke damage throughout the rest of the home, according to Padgett.