— FORT WORTH – The 21st Annual Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure takes place Saturday in Fort Worth.
Race for the Cure participants include corporate teams, breast cancer survivors, their friends, families and Komen supporters.
The Race for the Cure, the largest charitable 5K Race in Tarrant County and the largest fundraiser for Susan G. Komen for the Cure Greater Fort Worth, celebrates its 21st anniversary in 2013.
Of the funds raised through the Race, 75 percent support breast cancer education, detection and treatment locally in Tarrant, Parker, Johnson and Hood counties, with the remaining 25 percent going to national research initiatives to find the cures.
The Race for the Cure is a unique event, designed to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. As well as being a road race for competitive runners and walkers, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts many first-timers and recreational runners.
The race will honor breast cancer survivors by hosting a survivor pavilion during the Race and concluding with a survivor parade and celebration with entertainment provided by Professor D.
Saturday, April 6
• 6 a.m. – 8:20 a.m. – On-site registration open.
• 7:30 a.m. – Survivor photo.
• 7:45 a.m. – Aerobic warm up
• 8 a.m. – 1 Mile Family Fun Run start.
• 8:30 a.m. – 5K start.
• 9:45 a.m. – Survivor celebration and awards ceremony at main stage.
Susan G. Komen Greater Fort Worth Race for the Cure, Ridgmar Mall grounds (Expo area at the northeast corner of the Mall near Dillard’s), 2216 Green Oaks Road, Fort Worth, TX 76116.
Susan G. Komen, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, has invested more than $1.9 billion in research and life-saving community programs since its inception in 1982, and is the only breast cancer organization with a comprehensive approach that touches research, advocacy and community support.
The Greater Fort Worth Affiliate of Susan G. Komen is one of 123 affiliates of the parent organization. Chartered in July of 1992 by Rozanne Rosenthal, in honor of her close friend and three-time breast-cancer-survivor Joan Katz, the Greater Fort Worth Affiliate uses 75 percent of all money raised to fund treatment and prevention projects for women in Tarrant, Parker, Johnson and Hood counties. The remaining 25 percent raised goes toward national research initiatives to find the cures.
To date, Komen Greater Fort Worth has raised more than $21 million for breast cancer treatment, prevention and research.
For more information, visit www.komengreaterfw.org.