— By CHRISTIN COYNE
BROCK – A Brock home was destroyed in a fire Tuesday afternoon despite the best efforts of area firefighters, who stopped a resulting grass fire from spreading to nearby homes.
Firefighters from Brock-Dennis, Millsap, Greenwood and Cool-Garner volunteer fire departments responded to the large mobile home fire in the 500 block of Grindstone Road around 2 p.m. Information on the fire’s cause was unavailable.
Firefighters found the entire rear of the house was on fire when they arrived and were unable to fight the fire from inside the house, according to Brock-Dennis VFD Chief Travis Scrimshire.
The wind caused the fire to spread through the grass to neighboring property before firefighters extinguished it.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire and firefighters were reportedly able to save two dogs at the residence.
The structure was leveled by the fire and several vehicles and four-wheelers around the home also burned.
A neighbor said he saw black smoke coming from the area of the chimney and went inside to contact the fire department. When he came outside again, he said he saw flames in the trees.
Black smoke from the fire was visible from Weatherford during the blaze.