Weatherford Democrat

Top News

September 4, 2013

Aledo family escapes house fire

By JUDY SHERIDAN

ALEDO – Alerted by a neighbor who saw flames coming from the garage and knocked at the door, a woman and two children escaped unharmed from a burning home in the 300 block of Feed Lot Road in Aledo Wednesday morning, according to Fire Marshal Shawn Scott.

The family’s cat, however, died in the blaze, ESD No. 1 Assistant Chief Stephen Watson said.

Fire departments from Aledo, Willow Park, Hudson Oaks and Silver Creek began arriving at the scene at 8:01 a.m., following the first call to dispatch at 7:57 a.m., Scott said.

The firefighters were able to stop the progression of the fire — which appeared to originate in the garage and engulfed the attic as well — in about 35 minutes, saving many of the family’s belongings.

“The house is borderline totalled. The electrical system is gone,” Scott said, “but they were able to collect their personal belongings and memories.”

Scott said the husband was already at work when his wife closed the garage door and went inside to take a shower — some 10 to 15 minutes before the fire was reported.

“I’m leaning toward mechanical failure in the garage door opener,” he said, when asked to pinpoint the cause.

“The homeowner reported the door was hanging. I went through the electrical panel and couldn’t find anything wrong except for a few wires where the garage door comes in.”

Scott said an insurance company will determine whether the fire was the result of a wiring failure or a mechanical failure of the opener.

Although one firefighter at the site guessed propane might have been a factor, Scott said a grill stored in the garage functioned as it should have, with valves popping off to relieve the pressure.

“It made for some nice flames, but no violent explosion,” he said.

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Arizona Prison Chief: Execution Wasn't Botched Calif. Police Investigate Peacock Shooting Death Raw: Protesters, Soldiers Clash in West Bank Police: Doctor Who Shot Gunman 'Saved Lives' 'Modern Family' Star on Gay Athletes Coming Out MN Twins Debut Beer Vending Machine DA: Pa. Doctor Fired Back at Hospital Gunman Raw: Iowa Police Dash Cam Shows Wild Chase Obama Seeks Limits on US Company Mergers Abroad Large Family to Share NJ Lottery Winnings U.S. Flights to Israel Resume After Ban Lifted Official: Air Algerie Flight 'probably Crashed' TSA Administrator on Politics and Flight Bans Raw: National Guard Helps Battle WA Wildfires Raw: Ukraine's Donetsk Residents Flee Senators Push to End Hamas Threat in Cease-Fire A Young Victim's Premonition, Hug Before MH17 Raw: Deadly Storm Hits Virginia Campground Death Penalty Expert: 'This is a Turning Point' Raw: MH17 Victim's Bodies Arrive in Netherlands
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results