Weatherford Democrat

Top News

September 4, 2013

Aledo family escapes house fire

By JUDY SHERIDAN

ALEDO – Alerted by a neighbor who saw flames coming from the garage and knocked at the door, a woman and two children escaped unharmed from a burning home in the 300 block of Feed Lot Road in Aledo Wednesday morning, according to Fire Marshal Shawn Scott.

The family’s cat, however, died in the blaze, ESD No. 1 Assistant Chief Stephen Watson said.

Fire departments from Aledo, Willow Park, Hudson Oaks and Silver Creek began arriving at the scene at 8:01 a.m., following the first call to dispatch at 7:57 a.m., Scott said.

The firefighters were able to stop the progression of the fire — which appeared to originate in the garage and engulfed the attic as well — in about 35 minutes, saving many of the family’s belongings.

“The house is borderline totalled. The electrical system is gone,” Scott said, “but they were able to collect their personal belongings and memories.”

Scott said the husband was already at work when his wife closed the garage door and went inside to take a shower — some 10 to 15 minutes before the fire was reported.

“I’m leaning toward mechanical failure in the garage door opener,” he said, when asked to pinpoint the cause.

“The homeowner reported the door was hanging. I went through the electrical panel and couldn’t find anything wrong except for a few wires where the garage door comes in.”

Scott said an insurance company will determine whether the fire was the result of a wiring failure or a mechanical failure of the opener.

Although one firefighter at the site guessed propane might have been a factor, Scott said a grill stored in the garage functioned as it should have, with valves popping off to relieve the pressure.

“It made for some nice flames, but no violent explosion,” he said.

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results