Weatherford Democrat

Top News

July 31, 2012

Eight escape as home burns

WEATHERFORD —  

A family of eight, including four children, escaped their burning Millsap home without injury Saturday evening but lost nearly everything, including several pets. 

Patricia McKay said the electricity went out, and when a family member went outside to check on the issue, he discovered the house on northeast Front Street was on fire. 

They got the young children, ranging in age from 3 years old to 12 years old, safely out of the house, and McKay said she then tried saving two of the cats, but they got out of her hands. 

Their dog, three cats and six kittens died, according to McKay.   

Millsap Volunteer Fire Department, assisted by fire departments from Brock-Dennis, Greenwood, Cool-Garner and Adell-Whitt, responded to the scene within minutes but were unable to make an interior attack on the fire that quickly consumed most of the structure — a pair of attached, older mobile homes. 

The department’s fire chief, who lives across the street, saw black smoke already billowing from the back mobile home when he stepped out of his house, Millsap VFD Assistant Chief Jeff Edwards said.  

The back wall of the house had already collapsed by the time firefighters arrived on scene. 

The fire quickly spread, creating an approximately half-acre grass fire that approached nearby structures before firefighters were able to contain it. 

“Fortunately, nobody was hurt,” Edwards said.  

The 100 degree heat and dry grass also made things difficult for firefighters. 

Thankfully, the Red Cross helped firefighters as well as the family, according to Edwards. 

A wheelchair, a small swingset and a child’s playhouse were among the few things in the yard left untouched by the fire.

It’s not the first time the family has dealt with fires at their residence. 

They’ve had issues with electrical wiring in the past that started two small fires at their home, but they fixed the wiring each time it happened, McKay said. 

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Judge Ponders Overturning Colo. Gay Marriage Ban Airlines Halt Travel to Israel Amid Violence NYPD Chief Calls for 'use of Force' Retraining VA Nominee McDonald Goes Before Congress Bush: Don't Worry, Sugarland Isn't Breaking Up US Official: Most Migrant Children to Be Removed Police Probing Brooklyn Bridge Flag Switch CDC Head Concerned About a Post-antibiotic Era Raw: First Lady Says `Drink Up' More Water Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City Diplomatic Push Intensifies to End War in Gaza Cat Fans Lap Up Feline Film Festival Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results