Weatherford Democrat

July 2, 2013

Mineral Wells native mending after Granbury shooting

Mineral Wells Index

— By CLINT FOSTER | Lone Star News Group

MINERAL WELLS – Patrol Officer Chad Davis, Mineral Wells High School class of 1994, is recovering after he was wounded in the Granbury shooting Friday that killed gunman Ricky Don McCommas and Hood County deputy Lance McLean.

Davis’ mother, Mineral Wells resident Peggy Smith, said her son was shot in the upper part of his right shoulder, shattering his humerus. She added that the bullet went out through his back. Davis also caught some shrapnel – broken pieces of metal – in his left knee, possibly from a ricocheting bullet or metal from McCommas’ van.

“He’s swollen and in a lot of pain,” Smith said. “But his spirits are extremely high.”

McCommas fled a home 10 miles north of Granbury in a white van after he shot deputy McLean in the head, who had responded to a disturbance call. Davis then spotted the suspect’s van in downtown Granbury, made the call on the radio, and pulled McCommas over in the town square.

“Then [McCommas] immediately gets out and [Davis] said the scariest moment was looking squarely at the guy in the eyes before he opened fire,” Smith said.

What ensued in the middle of historic Granbury outside of City Hall was an extended gun battle. According to a report from the Dallas Morning News, McCommas was using a heavily modified assault rifle, which he had been known to sell out of his home. Davis returned several shots, as did other law enforcement officials. After as many as three dozen bullets were exchanged, McCommas died with several gunshot wounds.

Davis was taken to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth by air ambulance. Smith said he was in ICU for a day and was then moved to a different room on Saturday. She added that he would be released later in the day.

She said that members of the Fort Worth Police Department stayed with her son in his hospital room both night and day, all weekend.

Smith said her daughter-in-law called her with the news Friday morning that her son had been shot.

“I just broke down,” Smith said of hearing the news on Friday. But by Monday, she said, “[I’m] just hanging in there with him and making sure he gets what he needs. It’s still hard.”

Granbury Chief of Police Mitch Galvan “has been absolutely wonderful,” she added.

Officer Davis could not be reached for comment.

Deputy McLean died at John Peter Smith Hospital on Saturday in Fort Worth. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Clint Foster writes for the Mineral Wells Index. Index staff writer Libby Cluett and the Associated Press contributed to this article.