Weatherford Democrat

Top News

March 1, 2013

Help sought for family that lost house in fire

By CHRISTIN COYNE

RENO – The City of Reno is collecting donations to help out a family of seven who lost their home and possessions in devastating fire last month.

The fire occurred the evening of Feb. 1 off Newsom Road in Reno. The double-wide mobile home was destroyed despite efforts from Reno VFD, ESD No. 1, Azle, Briar and Pelican Bay fire departments. 

Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said the father was at work when the family started smelling the fire. The mother was able to get all five young children out of the house in time, according to Scott.

Though firefighters arrived quickly, the house was well-involved by the time they got there and was a total loss, Scott said.

Scott said he believed the fire was started in the area of a power strip in the 14-year-old’s bedroom.

The family is currently staying with relatives, according to the city.

Though the family had mortgage insurance, it did not cover the cost of replacing their home or possessions.

They are in need of clothing for the children, furniture, children’s toys, appliances and monetary donations.

The city has already received a few donations of toys and other items, city secretary Tiffany Ludwig said.

Reno has offered to store any furniture donated until they have a home to put it in and can collect larger items with a trailer.

Donations can be dropped by city hall during normal business hours or sent to city hall at 195 W. Reno Road, Azle, TX 76020. Checks should be made payable to the “City of Reno” and a receipt will be provided for all donations.

Donations are unlikely to be tax deductible because the city is not a registered non-profit, according to the city.

Those with questions can contact city hall at 817-221-2500. 

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results