By CHRISTIN COYNE
A fire Wednesday evening destroyed a woman’s northwest Parker County home.
The fire in the single-wide mobile home in the 1800 block of Old Authon Road was rapidly consuming the house by the time those nearby noticed, neighbors said.
The resident was reported to be in Fort Worth at the time of the fire.
A family friend was in a nearby pasture cleaning up when he said he noticed the fire.
He reportedly opened the door for the cats – which are believed to have survived – pushed a truck away from the house and attempted to fight the fire with a garden hose.
Neighbor Dale Steed, who said he’s known the homeowner for years, said his daughter noticed the smoke.
The fire appeared to have started in the back part of the house, according to Steed.
He said he broke the front window but had trouble getting it open.
When he saw the fire moving down the middle of the house, Steed said he realized there was not a prayer of getting anything out.
The fire grew quickly the first 10 minutes after they noticed it, he said.
Firefighters found the home well-involved when they arrived, according to ESD No. 1 Assistant Chief Mike Plumlee.
Firefighters from several departments, including Peaster, Adell-Whitt, Cool-Garner, Springtown, Millsap, and Greenwood responded.
Using tanker trucks and a collapsible temporary water tank, firefighters brought water from about six to seven miles away to extinguish the fire, according to Plumlee.
Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott said the fire appears to have started in the back master bedroom and was not suspicious in nature.
There is plenty of evidence of electrical arcing but he found nothing definitive showing it as the cause, according to Scott.
The homeowner was also having some remodeling done to the house but he did not know if that was a contributing cause, Scott said.
The homeowner was insured, he said, adding that the Red Cross was called to assist the resident.