Weatherford Democrat

Top News

March 10, 2013

Man dies in mobile home fire

(Continued)

There were no smoke detectors in the home and he believes the delay in the detection of the fire likely contributed to the man’s death, he said.

There were many plausible explanations for the fire, which originated in the living room, according to Scott.

There was no electricity to the home and the resident was borrowing electricity from a neighbor via extension cord, Scott said, adding that candles were the primary source of light for the home.

They also located propane and small gas grill cylinders in and near the house, he added.

Montgomery was also known to sit while drinking and smoking, according to Scott.

“Nothing about the fire seems suspicious,” Scott said. “It appears to be a tragic accident at this point.”

“I’m still in shock,” Montgomery’s sister, Janice Hunsucker said. “It’s such a tragedy.”

“He had a heart as big as Dallas,” Hunsucker said. “He’s just a simple man with simple needs.”

Montgomery was engaged to be married and, though he did not have children, two family members from a previous marriage called him “Dad,” Hunsucker said. Montgomery, who had lived in the Weatherford area since high school, also left behind a brother.

His dogs and playing his guitar were his two loves, those close to him said.

Montgomery was an animal lover, Cordell said, adding that his dogs were like his kids and he’d feed them before he’d feed himself.

A couple of the dogs perished in the fire.

Cordell said Montgomery trimmed trees and did other jobs for a living.

“He was a real nice guy,” Cordell said, adding that if someone asked him to do something, he’d break his back doing it for them.

Montgomery helped him out with things like landscaping that he could not do because of his health, according to Cordell.

“He will be missed by all his family and friends,” Hunsucker said.

Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' EPA Gets Hip With Kardashian Tweet Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in the Netherlands Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's US, UN Push Shuttle Diplomacy in Mideast Trump: DC Hotel Will Be Among World's Best Plane Crashes in Taiwan, Dozens Feared Dead Republicans Hold a Hearing on IRS Lost Emails Raw: Mourners Gather As MH17 Bodies Transported Robot Parking Valet Creates Stress-free Travel Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Disabled Veterans Memorial Nearing Completion Last Mass Lynching in U.S. Remains Unsolved Home-sharing Programs Help Seniors Ex-NYC Mayor: US Should Allow Flights to Israel
Poll

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Yes
No
Undecided
Don't care
     View Results