Weatherford Democrat

Top News

December 7, 2012

Fire damages vacant WISD building



The building had been turned back over to the district by Thursday afternoon, which planned to fence the remaining structure this week, Hopkins said.

The building was used in several capacities over the decades, district spokesman Derik Moore said, including as a district administrative building.

During the last years of use - at least 8 and a half years ago - it provided classroom space for the district’s disciplinary alternative program, as well as a program for those considered to be at risk for dropping out of high school prior to graduation, according to Moore.

When it was built, during a time the city was divided into wards, the building was originally known as the Fifth Ward School, Hopkins said.

There was nothing of value reported to be in the building at the time of the fire.

The building was boarded up, and the proper “No Trespassing” signs were displayed, according to district officials.

The school district had been planning on tearing down and removing the WISD building, Hopkins said.

It was the second vacant building to burn in the neighborhood in the last year.

Last December a vacant barn in the 800 block of Jameson Street, about a block away from the WISD building, burned to the ground in an evening fire.

Hopkins said the eight juveniles responsible were caught and two prosecuted for arson, while the remaining six were sent to fire safety classes.

Empty structures pose a big problem nationwide, Hopkins said. “Where we have empty structure, it becomes a real fire hazard.”

Hopkins said he attempts to immediately address empty structures that have become a fire hazard by contacting owners and giving them a 90 period to abate their situation.

“Sometimes, it’s just a matter of selling the property,” he said.

Fire engine

Some firefighters working the blaze had a close call when they lost pressure in a hydraulic line on a ladder engine, lowering the extended ladder onto live power lines.

A charge went back through the vehicle from the electrical wires, sending sparks flying everywhere from the outriggers where the truck was grounded, according to Hopkins.

However, the pump operator had reportedly momentarily stepped away and no one was injured.

Weatherford Electric was called to shut off the power, officials said.

The truck is a reserve unit that is not typically staffed daily but was taking the place of another truck that is having transmission repair completed, Rust said.

They recently spent a lot of money on the engine’s hydraulics, according to Rust.

Knowing that there was a possibility that the hydraulics were leaky, they also recently purchased items to address the issue but the parts had not arrived, Rust said.

The truck was still running at the scene and was successfully removed from the power lines and driven back to the station but it was unclear whether there was any damage.

Rust said they would not putting the aerial portion into use again until having the issue corrected.

The department will also have a third party inspect the truck, according to Rust.

The incident was a result of an aging fleet, the fire chief said.

The department’s engines, all purchased at the same time around 1999 or 2000 and all due to be replaced at the same time, are beyond the recommended period for daily use, according to Rust. After 10 years of “front-line” use, the trucks are typically rotated into reserve duty.

However, because of the slow economy in recent years, the city put off purchasing new engines, and they’ve been holding the line, Rust said.

Money was budgeted this year for a new engine, and they’ve placed the order, Rust said, adding that they expect to receive the new fire truck in seven to eight months.

The incident underscored that there is an element of risk to their job, Hopkins said. “I can’t express to people enough how dangerous fighting a fire is.”


Text Only
Top News
Must Read
Top News
House Ads
AP Video
US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating

The City of Weatherford is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking inside restaurants and enclosed areas where food is prepared, sold or consumed. Do you agree with this proposal?

Don't care
     View Results