The momentum Brock High School’s varsity tennis team built up during the early portion of the fall season has since carried over to district play, with the Eagles and Lady Eagles most recently defeating Mineral Wells in a 19-0 sweep Tuesday afternoon at home.
Brock, which competes against Class 4A opponents, is 2-0 in district play, having previously defeated defending district champ Brownwood, 10-9 last week.
Brock Head Coach Wesley Kidd said his experience working with the school’s tennis players this season has been an overwhelmingly positive one, citing the Eagles’ and Lady Eagles’ work ethic as well as their willingness to take advice.
“It’s always takes a bit of an adjustment with a new coach, but they’ve bought in to everything I’ve talked to them about,” Kidd said.
“Whenever I offer up a suggestion or try to help them through something, they take to it. It’s been a good transition for all of us.”
In regards to the Mineral Wells match, Kidd said the Eagles and Lady Eagles gave a great collective effort, with the team equally dominating both on the boys’ and girls’ side, as well as singles and doubles.
“I can’t really say that this person really stood out over that person,” Kidd said.
“We played to our potential on every court. We started fast, finished fast. The team just took care of business.”
Brock’s individual results from the Mineral Wells match are:
• Tim Hoffman/William Harrah, 6-0, 6-1 (W)
• Colin O’Grady/Jakob Becker, 6-0, 6-1 (W)
• Cooper Luce/Caleb Bowman, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Taylor Shupick/Evan Roberts, 6-1, 6-0 (W)
• Alysha Lee/Marta Fernandez, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Averie Watkins/Athena Talley, default victory
• Ashton Mhoon/ Rebekah McQueen, default victory
• Tim Hoffman, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Jakob Becker, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Colin O’ Grady, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Caleb Bowman, 8-2 (W)
• William Harrah, 8-0 (W)
• Caleb Bowman, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Evan Roberts, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Taylor Shupick, 6-0, 6-1 (W)
• Marta Fernandez, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Averie Watkins, 8-2 (W)
• Alysha Lee, 6-0, 6-0 (W)
• Athena Talley, default victory
Brock hosts South Hills High School at 4 p.m. today.